Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stalking Dolly Parton

My friend Justin and I went on an unofficial "celebrity homes" tour yesterday. He went on the actual celebrity home bus tour when he first moved to Nashville, but said this would be way better because we could actually stop and look around. I told him that I figured most people (celebrities especially) frowned upon people poking around their yards, but Justin was determined so off we went. First stop: Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman's house, but the gate was locked to their community so we couldn't get in. Damn it.  Next stop: Barbara Mandrell's house. I didn't really care about her, but Justin's a big fan so I went along. It was a pretty nice house, not real big but pretty. She had 2 red Corvettes in the driveway. Then we got lost for a long time (That probably doesn't happen when you take the tour bus).  I was getting frustrated because I hadn't seen anything cool yet and was about ready to go home, but then, we came upon the house that made it all worth while... Dolly Parton's house!!! Her house is very nice looking, but not large, especially compared to the gigantic $5mil houses around hers. She has a big gated yard with a windmill and a small chapel. It is not heavily gated or guarded at all! I would bet most people driving by don't even know it is her house. We wanted a good picture, so we up the street and walked up to it. We could have easily broken into the yard if we wanted, but figured that might be taking it too far. It seemed like such a friendly house that I just wanted to ring the bell and see if she would invite us in for cookies. I'm not sure how much of the time she actually lives here because I have never heard of anyone seeing her casually about town. I suppose though that when you are a legend you don't go out and about like everyone else.  Anyway, it was cool. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool indeed. Put that on the growing list of things we are going to do in Nashville when we come. Did you see the Lovelace Cafe feature on the Travel Channel Sunday? Loved it because we have been there, done that. The Biscuit Lady has been there 28 years.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Did you like the Wal-Mart pictures I sent of Brandon? One is titled, "Shopping at Wal-Mart is boring" and the other one is "But hanging out with Grandma is FUN!"
Mom

Nancy B said...

Yes they were very funny. Oddly enough Patrick makes that same grumpy face when I take him to Wal-Mart....

jackie said...

Go find Reese Witherspoon and Miley Cyrus' house next time.

PS-I go out and about in town all the time. Legands aren't recluses... haha :o)