Monday, October 19, 2009

Bank Warning!

Here is my consumer alert for the day. Patrick heard this thing on the radio yesterday about how banks are taking people with accounts in good standing and automatically upgrading their accounts so they can reach their quotas and earn all the fees that go with them. Lo and behold, I open our account today online and see a $20 fee for some Whole Access thing. Apparently since we don't overdraw and we have some savings, we were a target. I called the bank and yes, I was apparently upgraded without my knowledge to some checking account I don't want. They claimed that I must have done it myself at some point which made me even more livid. I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT change the status of my account and wouldn't even know how to if I did. The radio bit said they are hoping to get extra money from those who don't care or who don't pay attention to their accounts. If you think about it, if they get even 25,000 customers at $20 a pop that is an easy $500,000 in extra money made. If they did this every month they would get an easy $6mil in a year! I spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to figure this out- Am I cheap? No. I'm just trying to fight for what is right and I refuse to be taken advantage of! We have Bank of America, but I'm sure all banks are doing this same shady thing. My advice is to check your accounts and check them often. Don't put up with this crap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should call Tom Martino!!!

Dad