Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gift box mystery solved


Christmas Retail mystery #1:
THE OBSESSION OF THE GIFT BOX

This is my third Christmas working in specialty retail and one thing continues to perplex me- Why are people so OBSESSED with gift boxes? You know the ones I am talking about- the complimentary shirt/coat/jewelry box that comes with purchasing something in a store at the holidays. Now if people just asked for one box it wouldn't be a big deal- that makes sense. But customers will make a big purchase and want a BOX FOR EVERY ITEM. Are you really going to wrap those sox in a giant coat box? Are you really going to wrap those 12 tank tops you bought each in a SEPARATE BOX? I don't really think so. Customers will begin asking for gift boxes before they have even made a purchase! Like, they can't shop until they are assured that there will be a gift box at the end. I have even had people DRIVE BACK TO THE STORE because they forgot to ask for them. Now with gas prices the way they are is that really economical? Especially since you can buy a whole pack at Target for $2.99? There are also those really special people who try to cheat you out of them saying things like "I made a purchase last month and you didn't have any so I need to get 10 now" when you very well know they have never made a purchase in their lives at Banana Republic. Gift boxes, as I see it, are a priveledge not a right!
Now that it is getting closer to Christmas you will see the desperation for the boxes begin. As we begin to run out people will get LIVID because you cannot give them the boxes that they so desire. They will being to insist that you take apart store displays so they can pillage the boxes off of them. I always want to tell these people "hey that's what happens when you wait until the last minute- your box greedy friends have already taken all of them, and a lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine!"
If people would just take the boxes that they are actually going to use then we wouldn't have this box shortage at the end. I tried to limit the amount of boxes a lady got the other day- telling her she could only have 3 for the items she purchased not the 8 she was asking for. Fearing for my life as I watched her color rise I decided it wasn't worth risking my life over and I gave her 8. She looked like a druggie just getting her fix ans she clutched them to her chest and quickly left the store.
So what causes this? Why is there such a desperation and obsession with the holiday gift box? Most people don't even wrap gifts anymore! Everyone puts them in those gift bags! WHAT ARE PEOPLE DOING WITH ALL THE BOXES!!!!
Well, I may have figured it out. EBAY. Yes, I found Banana Republic boxes for sale on EBAY. (Click on Blog title to link to the boxes on Ebay.) At .99 for 3 I can see why people need a large supply if they are going to get rich this way. Gift boxes=get rich scheme. Mystery solved.
Ah yes, the holidays bring out the CRAZY in everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"WHAT ARE PEOPLE DOING WITH ALL THE BOXES?!!!"
Well, ONE of the things they're doing is wrapping Wal-Mart junk in them as gifts. Immediate cachet.

Anonymous said...

That is exactly what I was going to say, Doug. They shop at low price stores, wrap it up in a Banana box and then people open it up and think they are getting a really good gift. They brag to their friends that they are wearing Banana clothes when the turtle necks family is still hanging on the Wal Mart rack. Come to think of it, that is a great idea!! Next time you come out here, bring me boxes! Lots and lots of boxes!! :o)