Tuesday, November 21, 2006

So easy, who knew?

Green Chili is pretty much my favorite food in the world. EVERYTHING tastes better smothered in chili. People here in Tennessee have never heard of the stuff- you can't even buy chilies here in any of the stores. BBQ sauce, grits, fried chicken- that stuff they have, but chili is something these people have probably not even seen, let alone eaten. I have been craving chili since I moved here. It always works like that, as soon as there is something you can't have, that is when you want it the worst. I had Mexican food twice while I was in Colorado, but that wasn't enough- I wanted more! I called up Fred and asked him how to make it. If I can't buy it, then I guess I have to make my own. I was prepared to write down the whole list of ingredients and procedures required to make the perfect chili. He told me a few things- A little pork, some chilies, flour, water..."That's it?!" I said, "That's it" he said. With the whole day off and pot in hand, I went to making the chili fully expecting my first batch to turn out horribly. To my delight, it was super easy and surprisingly good! I had Patrick taste it and he agreed- good green chili! I can't believe I have been making such a big deal about this for so long and the answer was right there in my own refrigerator! I tell you, this information has changed our lives! Patrick had a slopper for dinner, and I had huevos rancheros. My plan is to now spread the green chili love to the people of Tennessee- I tell you, the stuff can change the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm happy it turned out good. It's pretty easy huh? That is one of the things that I can make. Green chili (with chicken- TRY IT!), homemade spanish rice, beans and tortillas. Yep, I'm a little spanish seniorita in the kitchen!

Hoban Family said...

Hey Nancy, how was your Thanksgiving?